After what feels like a lifetime of waiting, my JET result letter is finally with me, so am I off to Japan?
Well in a word, no. Not at the moment anyway, I’ve been selected as an Alternate(Reserve) candidate which means if any current JETs or shortlisted candidates step out of the programme I might get a call. It’s a bit of a frustrating situation as there’s no way to find out how long the reserve list is or my position within it, making it impossible to gauge the likelihood of being called 🙁
I have really mixed feelings about this, honestly, a straight no would’ve been easier to take. The uncertainty makes life very difficult, if I’d been accepted we’d already be making preparations with the house and our jobs, but essentially life is on hold at the moment.
So what now?
More waiting! The letter states I could be called anytime between now and December, but in reality the majority of Alternates travel to Tokyo for orientation at the same time as the Shortlisted candidates, so hearing anything beyond mid-late June is unlikely. Considering the amount of time I’ve been in this process, another month and a half won’t kill me! There is an absolute ton of paperwork I can begin looking at too which will help pass the time.
And if I hear nothing?
I think I’ll go on holiday 🙂 Emma and I made sure we had a Plan B for the year so we wouldn’t be crushed if neither of us made it through.
Third time lucky?
Hmm tough one… probably not, two applications is enough I think. I don’t take giving up on the JET lightly though, it’d just be awfully hard to put life on hold for a third year in a row.
Last year I was pretty upset when I didn’t even get an interview, this time I feel alot better about my application as a whole. My personal statement was much stronger, earning me an interview and a place on the reserve list, so if it doesn’t happen this year then it’s just not meant to be.