Well here it is, my custom Red Frame, henceforth to be known as the MBF-SG15 Phantom Astray.
I picked the designation, SG-15 from the particular Mr.Hobby Gundam Color Spray I used to for the majority of the armour panels – SG15 Phantom Gray. As well as Phantom Gray, red pieces were sprayed using Mr. Color UG05 UNTS MS Gray.
First off, some side-by-side comparisons with an unmodded kit, original pics from Dalong.net
And rear view
Backstory of this unit – It’s an infiltration unit focused on tackling pirate attacks against deep-space asteroid mining operations. As it’s constructed mostly from mid-grade salvaged parts, all safety limiters have been disengaged to give it a fighting chance against other units in battle, allowing for increased speed and power at the cost of potentially causing severe internal damage to both the Mobile Suit and pilot. The overpowered components generate a tremendous amount of heat and unless it’s routed out, fuel cells would ignite and the pilot would be literally boiled alive. To this end, the Phantom has been outfitted with a number of extra vent systems on the legs and core, plus a shield hard-mounted onto the left shoulder doubles up as a gigantic heat-sink, drawing the excess energy away from key systems.
Modifications / Changes
- V-fin separated and repositioned for a more swept look
- The “nose bridge” between the eyes has been removed
- Backpack hasn’t been used, 2 extra vents added to the back and a mounting for the sword scabbard has been fashioned from an unused polycap
- Right shoulder has some extra panel detailing
- Left forearm has a mounted beam saber, forearm paneling has been grooved slightly to help this fit
- Legs have extra vents
- Shield is mounted to the left shoulder. I’ve added some extra vents and detailing to the shield and also removed some of the top. The plastic around the polycap has been removed to allow the shield to pivot
- The second beam saber has been mounted below the barrel on the beam rifle, gunblade!
- Gerbera straight scabbard mounts to the back of the unit, simplified the design a bit
- Gerbera straight itself has been simplified too, smaller tsuba and slighter end detailing
It’s a little rough around the edges, but I’m proud of the end result and building it was great fun!
[flickrset id=”72157632676032722″ thumbnail=”square” photos=”” overlay=”true” size=”large”]