The Murasame is all but complete, I just need to apply some topcoat & decals as well as paint it’s 4 wing-mounted missiles which is going to be the real sod.
Very happy with this build though, it’s required more work than any kit i’ve ever built and because of that it’s been way more rewarding and i’ve learned alot.
I’d say the most important thing i’ve learned during this build is I can’t paint to save my life with a brush. I suck, always laying paint on way too heavy with visible brush strokes, the finish doesn’t look great either. Seeing as this kit required painting on just about every part I was determined to do it right and looked to using spray paint.
My previous attempts to mask parts have always ended in disaster, I nearly destroyed the scabbard on my 1/144 Red Frame, getting red paint everywhere.
Any mistakes on this kit would stick out like a sore thumb seeing as it was usually white parts requiring black paint, or black parts requiring white paint. Used a fair bit of red spray too on some seriously teeny details.
And here’s the finished article. This is before cleaning up some of the rough edges left by the masking but still I love the result, clean sharp lines and the spray leaves a really nice even finish.
So far i’ve just bought cans of the colours I need, but i’ve now invested in a spray gun so I can use watered-down acrylics too. It’s only a cheap one that runs on cans of propellant but I can’t really afford a proper airbrush right now. Will give this a good test when I paint the missiles over the next couple of days!